Tips To Get Rid Of Addiction
To realize an addiction as one is the greatest thing ever! Param Pujya Dada Bhagwan, an enlightened being tells us that ‘to realize that an addiction is bothering me in reaching my goal or making me completely dependent in itself is a remarkable thing.’
So now, on knowing the addiction and making all efforts to get rid of it, how do we cure it in order to be completely free from it? Let’s understand…
We often try curbing the bad habit. But when our mind becomes demanding and starts screaming, we just cannot help but giving in to what the mind says. For example, if I run away from the habit of smoking through control, very often I will eventually give in and smoke, a little later.
Many try meditation too. This helps control the mind for that period of time, but in some time, again it cries out for a cigar. Curbing the mind when there’s an urge to smoke leads us to smoking double in course of time.
So, what do we do then? How to get out of this vicious cycle?
WHAT IS THE WAY OUT ?
There is a most practical 4-step solution that works at the subtlest level of mind in order to come out of any kind of addiction or vice. Let us study this solution, assuming there’s an addiction of smoking.
1. DETERMINE– Make a strong determination to come out of the habit of smoking. It should be apparent to our mind that we are against the habit of smoking.
2. ANALYZE– The next step is to analyze the reasons why it is wrong to smoke. We’ll create a list of the ill-effects of smoking in each and every way. This will highlight the dangerous effects of smoking which gives our mind a clear understanding of ‘how smoking is actually harmful to me and my whole well being’. This understanding will help counter our mind’s thoughts regarding smoking.
3. PRATIKRAMAN – Asking for forgiveness (from whichever God you follow) is called Pratikraman. This is the proven weapon that cuts the veils of addiction. It just means that you are against the bad habit and you thereby wash away your opinions in favor of smoking. Thus, pratikraman helps us get rid of our opinions that promote the habit of smoking and calms the intellect.
4. NO PROTECTON– When someone points out our mistake or complains about how bad our addiction is, we should never protect it. Defensive answers like “What is wrong with it? I smoke just 1 cigar?” Or “I used to smoke 10 cigars a day. Now I just have one.” Should be avoided. What is wrong with it? – allows our bad habit to engulf us and hence we can never end up quit smoking. Therefore, we should never protect our mistake ever and should genuinely accept it when someone points it out to us. In this way, we will gradually come out of our addiction.
Param Pujya Dada Bhagwan tells us that no matter how grave the fault is, with your determination, your understanding, you doing Pratikraman and never protecting your bad habit or fault will surely help you overcome it. And if you are lucky enough to enjoy having the company of someone devoid of any addiction i.e. the company of the Enlightened One, it will prove most beneficial for your overall being, the entire life.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Boyd Martin 8 MINUTE READ
- by Amy Ballantyne 8 MINUTE READ
- by Boyd Martin 6 MINUTE READ
- by Boyd Martin 5 MINUTE READ
- by Lubomira Kourteva 8 MINUTE READ
- by Michelle Davis 7 MINUTE READ