Ayurvedic Recipe: Spiced Apple Cider To Boost Immunity – EDITED
This traditional holiday beverage, transforms into an herbal remedy that supports Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha.
Autumn winds carry cold (Vata dosha) and congestion (Kapha dosha) and you may leave you longing for comfort, warmth and a healthy digestive fire, agni (Pitta dosha).
This herbal remedy is effective for stimulating circulation and creating an internal sense of coziness. Experiencing cold hands and feet and overall brrr? Chilled to the bones? Our Immunity Boosting Herb Mix warms up cold hands and feet and is used to support conditions such as Reynauld’s Syndrome.
It’s necessary for the body to conserve energy in the cold months and so it constricts the vessels in the arms and legs. Yup, you know the feeling. This formula pushes the heat to the extremities and you’ll feel that nice warm glow. It includes strong diaphoretic and vasodilators which return the blood and heat to the exterior body. So grab your favorite (BIG) mug, put on your wool socks and wrap a scarf around your neck—things are about to get good!
Benefits: Immune boosting, supports healthy digestive fire, regulates blood sugar (thanks cinnamon), improves circulation, prevents the common cold and keeps you feeling cozy.
Make sure your spices are fresh. For dried herbs and spices, the shelf life is about a year, although the exact length depends on the quality of the spice (how fresh was it at the time of purchase) and how the spice has been stored.
Rancid, depleted spices should be replaced. Spices are digestive herbs that helps us digest, assimilate and eliminate foods properly which, according to Ayurveda, is fundamental to good health.
Get out for a walk in nature and enjoy your local pick your own apples orchard. The fresh air, sunshine and movement will provide you with additional benefits.
If you are up for a festive fall outing, go to your local apple orchard or grower’s market. Alternatively start with organic apple cider purchased at your local coop.
Now comes the fun part–mix up Saumya Ayurveda’s Immunity Boosting Herb Mix:
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Chop and peel at least 4 apples and add to big saucepan or pot.
- Add water to cover about two inches above the apples.
- Boil for one hour and strain through a fine sieve.
- Or, bring about 1 quart of apple cider to a boil.
- Brew with Saumya Ayurveda’s Immune Boosting Spice Mix for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve in your favorite mug.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Veena Haasl-Blilie 14 MINUTE READ
- by Veena Haasl-Blilie 18 MINUTE READ
- by Kacey Kingry 7 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 27 SECONDS READ
- by Veena Haasl-Blilie 12 MINUTE READ
- by Rebel Alchemy 0 SECONDS READ