Spirituality Is Required For Your Hormones To Live Long And Healthy
To control your hormones is to control your life. – Barry Sears
Humans can live a maximum of 120 years, but they can’t reach 120 with a weak immune and endocrine system. For a disease-less, healthy long life you need a strong endocrine system that keeps your body unaffected from the attack by invaders, such as an organism or toxin. The aging process can be slowed down with an alert and healthy endocrine system. As we age, the imbalances in various hormone levels appear, and it can be balanced with a healthy endocrine system.
Mrs. Avantika, a 45-year-old female, noticed that her weight was increasing slowly for the last 4 to 6 months without any significant change in lifestyle and diet. She also felt that she was becoming irritable and tired with irregular sleep and irregular menstruation. She would skip menstruation for one month, and then next month, it will be normal. Sexual drive was low as desire was sometimes high and sometimes low. Sexual intercourse was not the same as earlier as it was becoming painful and uncomfortable. She was also facing hot flushes and night sweats, and mood swings.
She was anxious and worried. She felt that there was no joy left in life. She started avoiding going out of the house and meeting family and friends. She was changed. She was even scared of what was happening to her. She was referred by her doctor to an internal medicine specialist, and he did a few tests. He found that she was entering in the life phase of menopause which causes hormonal imbalances. She was having menopause, and her symptoms were due to hormonal imbalances. She was told to accept it and live normally as every female passes through this phase. It took some time, but she accepted the truth of life and welcomed menopause. Now she is a cheerful and happy lady.
The liver and GIT are important organs. The Liver converts some hormones to more active hormones as T4 into T3 and GIT helps in the excretion of excess of hormones. So a healthy liver and healthy GIT in old age will keep endocrines in balance. A high-fiber, low-fat diet consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables will keep both the liver and GIT in good health. Excess sugar, alcohol, and smoking damage both liver and GIT leading to aging.
The endocrine glands are glands that secret chemical substances called hormones directly into the bloodstream. Some organs have a dual function: they produce hormones from one lot of cells and other substances from another (e.g., the pancreas produces insulin and glucagon, two hormones, and also pancreatic juice). These endocrine glands produce their hormones to keep the body functioning well, and the thymus may produce a hormone, but it has not been identified. The hypothalamus, the pituitary glands complex, ovaries, thyroid gland, placenta, parathyroid, testes, adrenal glands, kidneys, pineal glands, pancreas, stomach, small intestine, and their hormones give us long and healthy life so take care of them
Estrogen, progesterone, melatonin, and testosterone decline with age. After 30, secretion of DHEA, which slows cancer and boosts immunity, declines. After 70, the production of the stress hormone cortisol soars, decreasing immunity and impairing tissue healing. Secretion of growth hormone declines at 50, causing muscles to shrink and fat levels to increase.
With age, the metabolic rate and thyroid hormone function may diminish, decreasing the overall energy level. “Worsening sugar tolerance can lead to all of the health problems with diabetes,” says Dr. Haas. “Body fat percentage usually increase with age, even with the same dietary intake”. Men may find that their sex drive has been dampened because levels of sex hormones have declined. Women may suffer from osteoporosis due to lack of progesterone and estrogen. Both sexes may develop arthritis, cancer, heart disease, or stroke. In short, our ability to function optimally in the world deteriorates and our minds and bodies slow, like a clock slowly winding down to silence.
According to Dr. Bland, a pioneer in nutrigenomics – (The Science of how genes are influenced by nutrition). As we age, insulin function goes down. Elevated insulin causes a cascade of disturbances at the cellular level, increasing the rate of biological aging. Insulin is a hormone with global actions and can cause high blood pressure, blood fat abnormalities, ‘abnormal immune system function’, and accelerated biological aging.
Mrs. Kavita, 35 years, was gradually developing lethargy, laziness, and loss of energy. She felt very weak and was lying on the bed all time. She was depressed and was feeling uncomfortable. She started taking antidepressant medicine after a doctor’s consultation. She continued in the same condition for a few more months. She then went to see a senior internal medicine specialist. He did a hormonal profile and found that her thyroid and adrenal glands were functioning sluggishly. She was given appropriate hormonal therapy. After 10 weeks, her condition become normal, and her energy level also became as earlier.
How can you normalize hormones without drugs?
- Deep abdominal breathing – Pranayam
- Sun salutation – Surya namaskar
- Reduce your sugar intake
- Sleep well
- Plant-based natural diet. A Mediterranean diet reduces estrogen levels and cancer risk, as a high estrogen level increases the risk of breast cancer. Taking estrogen & progesterone increases the risk of cancer, the National Cancer Institute indicates. Being exposed for a long period and /or to high levels of these hormones has been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer.
- Visualization is a variety of mind-body therapy which leads to health by inducing physical and mental relaxation. One can concentrate and improve the visualization process to give maximum health benefits, Dr. Andrew Weil14 treats his patients with guided imagery for better clinical results. Martin E. P. Seligman15, Professor of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, mentioned in his book “Learned Optimism” that optimists do better than pessimists in almost every aspect of life, including how well their immune system function. Optimism can be learned. Images can influence behaviors and thus can cure. That’s why Visualization is nowadays used by psychotherapists to treat their patients.
- Pass time with family and friends. A study of 80 years has indicated that the single most longevity factor is this.
- Happiness – A neurosurgeon feels that life can be worthwhile during old age, and that longevity should be persuaded in association with the attainment of quality of life.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Boyd Martin 7 MINUTE READ
- by Veena Haasl-Blilie 9 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 22 SECONDS READ
- by Veena Haasl-Blilie 13 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 34 SECONDS READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 22 SECONDS READ