Celibacy Attained With Understanding
The common understanding of the word celibacy is ‘not to marry’. One takes a vow to remain unmarried throughout his life and considers himself to be a celibate. However, there is much more to it, and as one understands this term in its deeper and complete perspective, he enjoys his journey on the path of establishing celibacy, for he can now relate much more vividly with his goal of leading a celibate life.
One needs to have a clear mind while deciding to take the vow of celibacy. If the fruit expected out of celibacy is not salvation, such celibacy will make the body healthy, strong, and good looking and one would live longer too. However, due to ignorance of the Self, such celibacy cannot be sustained forever.
People try and control their impulses and desires, but these controls do not last long because the desires that are surfacing today are an effect. The only way to have a control on the desires is to find their root cause and put an end to it at that point itself. Hence, celibacy cannot be attained by force; a scientific approach is required to attain it.
The path of Brahmacharya
If your goal behind practicing celibacy is to seek eternal happiness, you must take on the path of brahmacharya. The Sanskrit word ‘Brahmacharya’ notifies ‘morally guided celibacy’. Brahmacharya means ‘to reside in your real Self i.e. Pure Soul’. The constant awareness of ‘I am Pure Soul’ is the supreme brahmacharya; there is no other brahmacharya like that.
Awareness is considered a part of the energy of the Self. Absence of this energy of the Self means the presence of worldly knots and confusions, with resultant inability to solve worldly problems and puzzles. The person with this energy of the Self is never deluded or confused, no matter what obstacles come forth in his life. All these energies will manifest only when brahmacharya is practiced.
‘Self Realization’ marks the beginning of this awareness, and therefore is a precondition for establishing yourself in brahmacharya. Real knowledge is the one that produces results. Just like after eating a sweet dish, you do not relish tea, as it does not taste sweet anymore; similarly when you find happiness from your Soul, no otherworldly happiness enchants you anymore. So that is what is called a scientific approach!
It is not that after Self Realization, you immediately stop feeling attracted towards the worldly objects of enjoyment. But your opinion for these passions changes to ‘they are not worth pursuing’. With this, your inner psyche i.e. your mind, intellect, consciousness, and ego, starts becoming inclined towards brahmacharya.
And as your inner psyche turns towards brahmacharya, the external pursuit for pleasure too sheds off automatically. All desires ultimately fade out in the presence of Real Knowledge. Until the tendency to delve in the momentary sweetness and pleasure has not been completely eliminated, one does run the risk of getting pulled away when in the company of wrong people. Therefore, it is important to remain in a group of celibates, who share a common goal.
Tips while practicing Brahmacharya
In addition, while practicing brahmacharya, if you happen to get tempted and attracted towards a certain person, you must:
- Keep maintaining a deep inner intent for brahmacharya. If your inner intent is pure, no harm is done;
- Sincerely and repeatedly repent for any attraction, thoughts or desires that occur in the mind, speech and body, which are against your goal; and decide never to let it happen again;
- Ask for energy of brahmacharya directly from the pure Soul of the person who is pulling you, by saying, ‘O pure Soul! Give me the strength to maintain my brahmacharya with the entire world’. One becomes clean and pure with the help of such repentance and prayer;
- Maintain a practice to see the Soul of the person to whom you are attracted.
Effects of brahmacharya
Self Realization, when coupled with celibacy, results in boundless and eternal bliss of the kind that one has never experienced before. Such persons are entitled to be the instrument for the salvation of the world!
Some of the effects of brahmacharya are:
- The vision of the one who is established in brahmacharya is very special.
- The presence of brahmacharya results in wonderful power of mind. His speech is very sweet and impressive. His actions win you over. Brahmacharya is the king of the body.
- Energy of brahmacharya is supreme. The radiance and happiness on the face of the celibate is apparent to all.
- The spiritual insights from within blossom at a higher level.
- All the veils of ignorance are destroyed.
- With the power of brahmacharya, one is able to remain sincere to his vows and commitments, his worldly objectives are accomplished with ease, and he is able to progress in the right direction easily.
There are two types of brahmacharya practitioners: those in a married state, and those in an unmarried state.
Yes, married people too can practice brahmacharya! If you have a desire for material things and want to enjoy the pleasures of worldly life, it is better to get married. Getting married does not carry any fault.
But that which the world considers inappropriate carries grave pain; you should not do that.
Never ever fall into an illicit relationship. The consequences of indulging in such a relationship are very grave, and one binds a very strong knot of immense suffering for a long long time. Say, if such a mistake has already happened in the past, one should confess this to ‘Gnani’ (the Enlightened One) for He alone has the power to save you from the dread.
Param Pujya Dada Bhagwan has clarified that in this day and age, if you are completely loyal and devoted to your one wife or husband, with mind, body and speech, you reap the fruits of brahmacharya. Neither should your mind wander nor your eyes. Your spouse should be the only person in your life and you should not get attracted to anyone else. So that your married life excels, both of you sit and arrive at a mutually acceptable solution in marriage-related matters. Stop any interaction which is acceptable to one and not to other. And do not hurt your partner in any manner.
When one has made a firm resolve of brahmacharya, it is important he surrenders in the feet of the ‘Gnani’ for it is He who helps you sail through all the difficulties on the path of permanent liberation.
By remaining sincere to the Gnani and His given words, we are able to gradually progress from awareness of pure Soul to the experience of pure Soul, and thus fulfill our ultimate GOAL of salvation!
Daily Wellness Inspiration & News!
You might also like…
- by Arik Xander 5 MINUTE READ
- by Dina Marais 7 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 3 MINUTE READ
- by Dada Bhagwan 8 MINUTE READ
- by Maeve Northcross 5 MINUTE READ
- by Eva Wexler 11 MINUTE READ