How to Protect Yourself From Energy Vampires
Energy is contagious.
When you surround yourself with positive people, you catch on to the feeling and are lighter and happier.
Energy vampires, however, will suck the light out of you before you know it, leaving you exhausted and drained of your energetic reserves.
The first step to dealing with energy vampires is to identify them, which is not always as simple as it sounds.
Not all energy vampires look identical.
They may operate in ways that are unique to them, but the depleting effects on those around them are essentially the same.
Whether it’s the perpetual “woe-is-me” from a particular family member, the unending histrionics coming from your neighbor the drama queen, or the outright malice of a colleague at work, the energy vampire will inevitably steal your good vibes.
After an encounter with an energy vampire, you feel physically and mentally exhausted, and possibly anxious, sad, or angry.
Here’s How to Protect Yourself:
- Limit the amount of time you spend with energy vampires. It stands to reason that the less time you are in their presence, the less energy you’ll lose. Start to implement strategies that will keep conversations short and non-invasive (ie “I only have a moment to talk.”)
- Limit eye contact. When you want to connect with someone, eye contact is a good thing. In the case of an energy vampire, however, you will want to avoid connection. Remain detached physically, mentally, and emotionally by eluding eye contact as much as possible.
- Define your personal space clearly and honestly. This includes emotional space as well as physical space. Avoid being trapped with an energy vampire in a small or closed space, or being alone with them. Remember, energy is contagious! Make sure you articulate your needs clearly to the vampire (ie “I’d rather not talk about that particular person/place/thing.”). Try not to react emotionally; rather, remain neutral and coherent.
- Do not attempt to fix their problems. Energy vampires are typically ridden with problems that are not yours to fix, although the vampire will try to convince you that they are. Remain detached from their drama and focus instead on walking away. The more you do it, the easier it gets to remove yourself from the situation.
- Try visualization practices. Sometimes walking away isn’t an option. In that case, you can visualize a protective white light around you, a virtual energy shield. You will still sense the intrusion of the vampire into your space, but it will be held at arm’s length away from you. Your mind will be preoccupied with the visualization of light, and so the vampire’s voice and presence will be greatly diffused by your preoccupation with something more heartening.
- Above all, respect yourself. Don’t worry about being impolite. Your vitality is a precious resource and deserves protection. You are the guardian of your own energetic space. In order to lead a happy and healthy life, you absolutely must surround yourself with people who cultivate positive energies and eliminate those people who don’t. It isn’t rude to guard your well-being; it’s affirming of your own self-worth.
Eliminating negative energies from your life will tap you into your own sources of joy and well-being.
And the energy vampires?
Having lost a drainable source, they will necessarily move on to a new, less resilient listener.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Nicole McCray 7 MINUTE READ
- by Loretta Jane 6 MINUTE READ
- by Loretta Jane 5 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 32 SECONDS READ
- by Paisley Hansen 5 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 28 SECONDS READ