Trust Your Journey And Don’t Sweat What You Didn’t Get
The Dalai Lama once said, “sometimes not getting what we want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” This quote delivers a powerful message and also poses a question: can we really trust our journey?
The Wants of Our Younger Years
Looking back at a younger me, I see a very different person from the one I get to be today. Just a few years ago, I had drastically different priorities and possessed what I would now consider being pretty questionable values. Back then I hoped for things I wouldn’t want today. Just a few years ago I wished for a life I would go great lengths to avoid now. This doesn’t mean that I was wrong. It simply shows how much I didn’t know.
Room for Change
Isn’t it amazing how much can change within a relatively short period of time? Particularly when we make room for personal growth. This kind of growth takes patience and a whole lot of soul-searching. It requires thinking outside of the box. It may call for visiting places we’ve never been before and it might demand of us to let go of predispositions we oh so cherish. If we pay attention, we can almost hear our inner selves silently screaming to break out of their tightly fitted comfort zones. If only we dared to try something new, something scary, just enough to shift our perspective; if only we gave our soul some room to stretch its legs, imagine the wonder we could find.
Not All Wishes are Meant to Come True
Through my own set of experiences, I now see that not all of our wishes are meant to come true and I now realize just how wonderful that can be. Here are some examples of what I didn’t know just a short time ago and how grateful I am to know them today.
- I didn’t know that the quiet of the forest sounds better than the noise of a bustling city.
- I didn’t know that money is just a supporting role, not the lead.
- I didn’t know that there is so much more to life than building a career.
- I didn’t know that big mansions and fancy cars do not guarantee happiness.
- I didn’t know that by chasing things on the outside I would never find inner peace.
- I didn’t know that facing uncomfortable inner pain of the past leads to finding the ultimate freedom of the future.
- I didn’t know that struggles and challenges don’t happen to us but happen for us, in order to propel us to become stronger and more resilient beings.
- I didn’t know that being comfortable in my own skin feels way better than trying to fit in.
- I didn’t know that trust is worth the effort even if there is a chance we may get hurt.
- I didn’t know that vulnerability is much more attractive than perfection.
- I didn’t know that being weird is actually much more fun than being normal.
- I didn’t know that being myself was not only enough, it is the key to my emotional freedom.
- I didn’t know that I don’t need attention to feel validated.
- I didn’t know that a walk in nature can help us solve some of our most complex problems.
- I didn’t know that welcoming and accepting all beings just as they are, feels so much better than criticizing and judging them.
- I didn’t know that love is the answer to almost every problem. At the very least, it is at the core of every solution.
Trust the Journey
I’m grateful that the wishes of my past did not become the reality of my today. Through this exercise I learned to let go of worry, let go of my need to control and surrender to the journey. While I continue to sit in the driver seat of my vehicle of life, I put trust in my purpose and follow its path. So if you haven’t quite obtained what you are hoping for right now, perhaps it’s life’s way of telling you that there are better and more meaningful experiences waiting ahead. Don’t fret over not getting that job, not landing the deal or not getting a callback. Maybe it’s all preparing you for the future, more wiser, more resilient and more complete you.
I encourage you to revisit some of your unfulfilled wishes and give a good hard think whether this too was meant to be. Because after all, not getting what we want could be a wonderful stroke of luck.
Sending you love, peace, and good vibrations
Daily Wellness Inspiration & News!
You might also like…
- by Josef Samuels 6 MINUTE READ
- by David Essel 12 MINUTE READ
- by David Essel 9 MINUTE READ
- by Brenda Knowles 4 MINUTE READ
- by Tessa Dongelmans 4 MINUTE READ
- by Moira Hutchison 4 MINUTE READ