Powerful Beyond Measure: How to Reclaim Your True Essence
The first time I heard Katy Perry’s song, Roar, I turned up the volume and went home to download the song immediately. Not only were the lyrics catchy, it soon became an anthem that gave us permission to speak up, celebrate who we are, and come out of the shadows, reminding us that we all have a choice in every aspect of our lives. Soon, everyone in my community from social media, clients, friends and family were all buzzing whenever the song came on and it seemed to be hitting the airwaves everywhere.
One afternoon, while listening to the song in the car, I asked my daughter, who was 9 at the time, why she liked the song so much. And her reply was, “It makes me feel strong, like I can do anything.” What a powerful message that could be for young women, women from broken homes, girls who didn’t feel good enough, women who were battered and worn down.
What if we could change the way women feel about themselves and their contributions to this world? What if we could uplift one another instead of competing? How would our world shift and change if all women believed they were strong and could do anything?
SEE ALSO: The 3 Best Apps For Meditation
Does this sound familiar?
I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything
How disempowerment shows up
- Feeling helpless and overlooked; assuming everyone around you knows better. Taking on someone else’s idea of how we should behave and interact with the world.
- Keeping our insights to ourselves and not realizing that our contributions are just as, if not more, valuable than those around us.
- Beating ourselves up with our own ideas, behaviors, parenting, personal appearance, failures and skill set.
- Ignoring that little inner voice. We have our very own internal GPS system that, if we allow it, will guide us and support us through life.
- Filtering ourselves as a direct, often unintentional, way of emulating those around us.
- Learning to suppress our fun, even quirky aspects; only sharing them when we feel safe to do so as opposed to letting them be a part of our everyday experiences.
Once we begin to accept our differences and embrace our uniqueness, we will attract those who will celebrate us in every way. Life will begin to mirror our self-acceptance, inner power and grace, creating a ripple-effect out into the world. As we begin to show up for ourselves, we will become an inspiration for others to do the same.
How empowerment shows up
- Tackling the growing piles of paperwork on your desk and paying bills with gratitude.
- Smiling at your own reflection every time you find yourself in front of a mirror – focusing on wrinkles or re-growth doesn’t count; look for the light in your eyes.
- Listening to your body and taking care of it through movement, pleasure, nourishment and anything else it requires.
- Proudly sharing our wildly different and amazing traits and preferences with the world.
- Learning to check in with ourselves to see what feels right for us and where we may need to make adjustments.
- Having a strong list of non-negotiables and sticking to them.
- Allow for quiet reflection so that you can receive insights and awareness from your Spirit and the Universe.
Putting it all together
Making the choice to examine our beliefs, values and what we know is true for us, is the first step to self-empowerment. When we make a claim that we matter and have every right to be heard, respected and valued, life will support us in so many ways. Unexpected phone calls to uplift us, connections with people who “get” us and what we are striving for, the right book or message at just the right time to keep us focused on our path. We will begin to uncover and unlock a reservoir of inner power and self-esteem.
A powerful journey then begins to unfold that unleashes who we really are, defining our very core at the deepest levels, bringing clarity and a sense of inner knowing like nothing else can. When we begin to acknowledge that we have a voice, hopes and dreams that are ready to spill out into the world, we align with our greatest truth, our soul’s message and the gift we bring to everyone around us. We begin to roar, perhaps only inside at first, for ourselves, for those who came before us and then for those yet to come.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Arik Xander 6 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Carmen Harra 11 MINUTE READ
- by Arik Xander 10 MINUTE READ
- by Galitta Tassa 7 MINUTE READ
- by Veena Haasl-Blilie 6 MINUTE READ
- by Kristin Barton 8 MINUTE READ