6 Ways Meditation Can Improve Your Life
Have you been curious about starting a daily meditation habit? Knowing the many benefits can be a great springboard to getting started, especially for those who are busy and don’t think they can squeeze in a few minutes to look inward. First, remember that meditation doesn’t have to take long. A few minutes (even around three to start) can be the foundation for a lifelong meditation practice.
Here are six ways meditation can better your life.
SEE ALSO: 10 Simple Tips For Life-Long Happiness
1. Cognitive reconditioning. We’re groomed to embrace self-deprecating thoughts, but meditation can combat negative thinking. Choose a positive mantra as part of your practice, and start talking kindly to yourself. Negative self-speak is very powerful because our brains go above and beyond to make what we think a reality. Meditation can be a means of changing our self-talk process and embracing a kinder way to speak to ourselves.
2. Meditation gives us a means of stress management. You’ve probably been told to “breathe through it” before, whether it’s a stressful situation or a painful one (like childbirth). Breath control, or pranayama, is often a part of meditation practices. Breathing and the ability to quiet the mind are both powerful tools for stress management, which is critical when living in a society that’s more over-stressed than ever before. You need and deserve a toolset to effectively manage the stress in your life.
3. Potentially get off of certain medications. Never stop or start any medication without discussing it with your doctor. However, some have reported that meditation has helped them lower their prescription doses and even stop some prescriptions altogether. This may include drugs for anxiety or depression. Remember that it is very dangerous to manipulate prescription drugs in any way, but meditation is a natural balancer and may help with lowering doses under the guidance of a doctor.
4. Enjoy more time for yourself. Everyone has the same number of hours in the day, so why does it seem like some people get more done and enjoy life more? Every minute counts, which is why indulging in a morning meditation of just a few minutes isn’t an indulgence at all. It carves out a part of the day early on just for you where you can set your intentions, just breathe, and holistically prepare your body for the day.
5. It lowers the blood pressure. Regular meditation, even after just a few weeks, has been shown to lower blood pressure. Even better, these results persist well after a person stops meditation practices.
6. It sets the tone for the day. How you start your day is a precedent for the remainder of the day. With meditation, you’re controlling the vibe and flow. You have more control than you think.
Meditation is a thousands-year-old practice for a reason. Give it a try consistently for one week and see what a difference it can make.
Daily Wellness Inspiration & News!
You might also like…
- by Dr. Courtney Parker 14 MINUTE READ
- by Neil Seligman 9 MINUTE READ
- by Parvati Devi 5 MINUTE READ
- by Melinda Quesenberry 8 MINUTE READ
- by Ellie Batchiyska 8 MINUTE READ
- by Laura Gulbranson 5 MINUTE READ