Meditation Can Harness Epigenetics And Curate Gene Expression
It is a wrong belief possessed by people that human potential is limited to your genes from mom and dad. According to research, while DNA plays a significant role, epigenetics too has a very strong potential to have monumental implications on human behavior.
In this regard, one of the biggest findings of all was discovered by Swiss chemist Johann Friedrich Miescher. His study found that as your body uses the code for building and rebuilding itself, there are 23 chromosome pairs in your out-of-the-womb DNA double helix blueprint. There are about 22,300 identified genes with no report of those that still remain unidentified. That means you are pre-programmed with a gene map right from your birth.
Now the question is, is it the ‘set’ potential or can you make any alterations to the irresistible will of Mother Nature? The answer is, yes! According to recent epigenetic studies and discoveries in terms of who and what humans are, nature typically dominates nurture. These recent facts and findings are considered to be quite a scientific revolution and have compelled the authors to rewrite biology books.
It is true that every human being has their genes set at birth, but there is another layer that is above the DNA sequence of every human. This is the layer that is ultimately responsible for the particular genes that get exposed and expressed and keeping others in their dormant state. Research has shown that even if your family tree and medical history shows a predominance of heart diseases, cancer, and the likes, you can turn off those genes just like the light switch in your bedroom that have your fate and health in their whims and fancy!
Based on this new paradigm, you become and decide your actions such as what you eat, drink, and the level of physical activity you’ll be doing. This will help you stay healthy and that is a lottery that you do not win through your parents, but through your own thoughts, decisions and actions.
Meditation decreases expressions of cancer
Now the question that may cloud your mind is how exactly can you harness such incredible power? Well, this is where meditation comes in: according to research, it’s the best way to rewrite the DNA blueprint of nature and alter gene expression. A recent study by Dr. Dean Ornish and colleagues at the University of California found that meditation can decrease the expression of cancer. The research was conducted on a group of low-risk prostate cancer survivors who were asked to practice meditative breathing exercise for an hour. It was found that:
Besides a decrease in the expression of cancer-associated genes such as RAN, RAB14, and RAB8A, it was revealed that meditation actually molecularly mitigated and silenced the processes that play a significant role in developing cancer. If that sounds pretty simple to you and if you want something more scientific and explained in more complex words, a separate study found that mindfulness and meditation had exercised a powerful influence on a global scale on histone modification. It also influenced the chief regulators such as H4 pan-acetyl and histone H3 trimethyl Lys4 that are accountable for cancerous tumor creation and expansion.
The key takeaway of these studies, although more research needs to be done, is that meditation seems to have significant effects on cancer patients.
Upgrading gene expression
If you want to know about the different ways in which you can upgrade your gene expression through meditation, here are a few other things that you should know first. Meditation has a direct connection with your mind and brain, health and body and research has shown that it helps you in these specific ways:
- Brain regions: Deep meditation will help you upgrade the nine key regions in your brain. As a result, you will experience reduced stress, more happiness and success, deeper sleep, better memory, easier learning, higher IQ and EQ and the list goes on and on. In short, a changed brain will change your life.
- Life extension: Meditation will affect your longevity or life extension as well. It will make you look decades younger than your actual age.
- Weight loss: Often, meditators are found to be slim and trim. Why? This is because of the incredible weight loss benefits of meditation that will propel you to attain an ideal body.
- Mindpower: There is no doubt that both your subconscious and unconscious mind are extremely powerful. Meditation will make it even more powerful, allowing you to dive in, reconnoiter and connect with your deep mind.
- Brain and body chemicals: Apart from the immense health implications, meditation also has proved to boost several chemicals in your brain and body naturally such as GABA, Serotonin, Endorphins, and others and naturally reduce the stress hormone Cortisol.
In addition to the above, meditation also helps in:
- Boosting your immune system
- Conquering unconquerable diseases
- Rewriting genetic code
- Reducing anxiety
- Building neurotransmitters
- Quieting mind chatter
- Cooling the amygdala
- Reducing addictions and much more.
Therefore, meditation is the only way to harness epigenetics naturally and upgrade your physiology, creativity, and healing process by balancing your left and right brain hemispheres properly.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Annabelle Short 7 MINUTE READ
- by Jade Pulman 5 MINUTE READ
- by Jolene Starr 13 MINUTE READ
- by Jade Pulman 5 MINUTE READ
- by Bas Waijers 11 MINUTE READ
- by Kayla Matthews 6 MINUTE READ