Is Brahmacharya Important? How And If It Is Powerful Why Is No One Following This?
There are two kinds of brahmacharya.
1. One form of brahmacharya is when you do not participate in or encourage sexuality through the mind, speech, and body, and
2. The ultimate form of brahmacharya (celibacy) is when one’s focus is always in the awareness of ‘I am a Pure Soul.’ It is to conduct (charya) one’s Self in the Soul (brahma). That is the real brahmacharya.
The practice of Brahmacharya (Celibacy) has innumerable benefits. Let us have a look at some of them:
● A person practicing brahmacharya can harness the power of the mind, body, and speech, and they can accomplish anything.
● Concentration and grasping power increases.
● If one preserves brahmacharya for a few years with the right control, then the semen energy rises. After that, one can retain the spiritual essence of any of these scriptures and books. Otherwise, it is not easy to maintain this essence. You will forget as soon as you read something.
● Virya (semen) is the ultimate of all the essence of the food we eat. It is an extract. If this ‘extract’ remains properly preserved, the world’s pains, bodily pains, and no other pains will come to him.
● Where there is no sexual interaction, there is no clash. The history of friction ceases where sex ceases.
● No matter what obstacles come forth in your life, you can remain stable and deal with the situation at hand.
● Immunity power increases, and as a result, the body remains healthy. It will have no difficulty at all. It will not produce any defects at all.
● Anger-pride-deceit-greed will gradually decrease.
● Will-power increases which means you can do anything you set your mind to.
● The energy of the Self (Atma virya) arises as one practices brahmacharya. There is nothing more valuable than the energy of the Self.
● Aura of radiance arises due to celibacy.
● Your inner faculty of knowledge and vision becomes pure, so your inner inclinations do not go towards worldly things.
● The mind remains in control.
● By following celibacy, merit or good karmas are bound.
● Absolute Knowledge (Keval Gnan) can only be attained by practicing celibacy.
Param Pujya Dada Bhagwan assures that for those married, sexual relation with one’s own spouse alone is considered brahmacharya in this day and age. Pre-marital and extra-marital sex or unfair practices should be strictly avoided. When one engages in illicit sex, he/she has to suffer enormous painful miseries in this life and even after that. And if a married couple takes a vow of brahmacharya, they will understand the bliss of the Self completely. Otherwise, they cannot understand whether their happiness comes from sexual gratification or from the pure Soul.
Despite knowing all the benefits of practicing brahmacharya, many do not follow.
Here, Param Pujya Dada Bhagwan has explained that to bring about changes in one’s conduct is an effect, a result, which means one does not have any control over it. However, if one changes the underlying understanding behind any conduct, it in turn shall gradually bring about changes in the external conduct.
Just as a magnet attracts iron, in the same way, the parmanus (smallest, indivisible and indestructible particles of matter) of a man and a woman attract one another. One may have decided, ‘I do not want to get attracted,’ yet he gets attracted. This proves that one does not have any control here as an external magnetic force is pulling him. The parmanus that were charged in the past get pulled when the man and woman come within a particular field. At that time, one believes, ‘I got pulled. I still keep getting attracted.’ Actually, it is the parmanus that are getting attracted.
Now, if one does not become engrossed in this attraction (maintains separation of the Self after Self-Realization), then the parmanus give their effect and discharge naturally. However, because one does not understand this science, one continues to remain engrossed in the effect due to the intense greed of [tasting the] sweetness of abrahmacharya (not following brahmacharya). As a result, charging of new parmanus of abrahmacharya (not following brahmacharya) continues.
Even there, if there is the awakened awareness of the Knowledge of the Self, and one does pratikraman i.e. confesses, apologizes and resolves not to repeat this mistake, immediately and returns to the state as the Self, then one shall soon begin to follow brahmacharya.
● You just need to have the deep inner intent to practice celibacy. And you should ask for strength from God to practice celibacy with your mind, speech, and body.
● Instead of controlling the mind, find out the causes that trap your mind in sexual desires and immediately cut off the link with them.
● Ensure that you fully appreciate the advantages of celibacy and the disadvantages of non-celibacy: in this manner you become fully aware of the benefits of brahmacharya. Even married couples can follow brahmacharya with mutual understanding or by ensuring sexual loyalty to your spouse.
The underlying reason for abrahmacharya and sexual indulgence is the fire of inner restlessness and discontentment. To quench this fire of restlessness and discontent within, one indulges in transient pleasures of sex. Param Pujya Dada Bhagwan says “Our Gnan (Self-Realization) is the ocean of bliss and therefore one’s practice of brahmacharya is possible. If there is brahmacharya along with this Gnan, the resultant bliss is boundless and eternal.”
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Arik Xander 4 MINUTE READ
- by Yoga Vidya School 7 MINUTE READ
- by Neil Seligman 6 MINUTE READ
- by Dena Gould 4 MINUTE READ
- by Moira Hutchison 4 MINUTE READ
- by Shannon Flynn 6 MINUTE READ