The Mini-Smudging Guide: How To Do It And What Sacred Herbs To Use
Most people have heard that Smudging is an ancient practice done by many cultures throughout history, particularly in India and by Native Americans.
And many people have also heard that smudging is used to clear negative energy in a space or room, along with the body, mind, and spirit of energies that might be hurting your wellbeing. But the big news for smudging circulating around the web is the recent discovery that it actually releases negative ions. In turn, this actually helps to destroy bacteria and release feel-good chemicals in the brain, encouraging a feeling of wellness that’s believed to encourage healing and overall health.
So how do you take advantage of these miraculous benefits in the best way possible?
How to Smudge
Smudging can be done with several different methods:
- With a smudge bowl and sacred herbs directly lit or burned on a coal tablet.
- Tying the herbs together and burning in bundles, using a smudge bowl such as a shell.
‘Clearing’ smoke is used to not only clean out a space (it actually does do this, by the way, because it kills bacteria) and lift stagnant energy and moods. For an individual clearing, however, smoke is ‘washed’ over a person with a feather or by fanning the smoke by hand.
Smudging, Varieties of Sacred Herbs, and their Associations:
- Sage: removes negativity
- Myrrh: enlightenment
- Sweetgrass: gentleness and Mother Earth
- Cedar: restorative and energizing
- Lavender: cleansing and attracting love, protection
Some Ground Rules
- Before meditation, yoga, or other sacred activities
- After intense arguments
- After any mental or physical illness
- When you move into a new space (this one is especially important)
- On the verge of an important beginning in life
A Step-by-Step Breakdown:
- Before beginning open a window or door.
- Place the sacred herbs of your choice in an abalone shell or something else that’s not flammable.
- Light the herbs, preferably with a match rather than a lighter (non-plastic, organic materials are more conducive to spiritual vibrations)
- Gently blow out the flame so that the smoldering herbs can freely waft smoke.
- At this point, you can wash the smoke over yourself, space, or object.
- Afterward, places the herb back into the shell and let it burn out so the smoke can fill the area.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by John Kenny 8 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 24 SECONDS READ
- by Shelby Carino 4 MINUTE READ
- by Nicole McCray 7 MINUTE READ
- by Mia Barnes 8 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 35 SECONDS READ