Homeopathic Remedies For Flu Relief
It’s that time of year that everyone dreads – flu season. Individuals who are most at risk include those with a weakened immune system and poor diet and nutrition. Also at higher risk are young children and adults over 65.
So what Exactly is the Fu?
Its a respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus. Signs and symptoms of the flu can include:
- body aches
- muscle aches
- runny nose
Ideally when you start to come down with the flu, it is important to avoid all sugar, processed foods and artificial sweeteners. Sugar suppresses your immune system, not what you need when you’re fighting the flu. In addition, following some basic health habits can help to avoid illness, as well as prevent the spreading of germs.
- Avoid contact with individuals who have the flu.
- If you are in contact with people who have the flu, wear a mask and gloves.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- If you’ve been exposed, rest and boost your immune system.
- Avoid sugar and dairy.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose.
- Stay well hydrated with water, or coconut water which is high in electrolytes.
- Don’t share bath or hand towels.
Natural Help for the Flu
Many of these remedies offer relief from flu symptoms and you likely have them at home in your pantry or medicine cabinet.
- Rest – It may seem obvious, but many people push themselves, when they should be at home resting.
- Hydration – Water will help flush the virus from your system. Try to drink half your weight in ounces of water daily.
- Simple foods – Foods that are easy to digest such as bone broths, herbal teas, green juices will nourish your body and not stress your system.
- Fresh air – If you’re coughing and sneezing your house is a harbor of germs. Open the windows to let in some fresh air. You can always leave that particular room while it airs out, so you don’t get chills.
- Probiotics – These will give your gut bacteria an added boost.
- Essential Oils – Adding frankincense or peppermint to a carrier oil and rubbing this on your feet or the back of your neck can offer immune support.
- Zinc – This antiviral will give your immune system a boost.
- Oregano Oil – Another potent antiviral oregano oil is available in capsules and tinctures.
- Elderberry – This delicious berry can be enjoyed in many forms including syrups and gummies for the kids. It can help with bronchial inflammation, boost the immune system and relieve sinus pain.
- Echinacea – This anti-inflammatory ingredient is available in multiple forms including capsules, teas, tinctures. Research has shown this to be as effective as Tamiflu in fighting respiratory infections.
- Vitamin C – Boosts white blood cells and immune system.
- Vitamin D – Low vitamin D levels are linked with higher incidence of colds, flu and respiratory infections.
Gelsemium: When fatigue and a generalized heavy, weak feeling pervade the person, even leading to trembling of individual parts and to having heavy, half-open eyelids, this remedy may help. These people tend to have little or no thirst, can experience chills up and down their spine, and have a headache in the back part of their head.
Bryonia: People who have marked body aches during the flu that are aggravated by any type of motion may be helped by this remedy. Generally, these people also have a headache in the front part of their head, which is also aggravated by motion. They have dry, even chapped lips, a dry cough, and a great thirst for cold water. Despite being warm, they are averse to warm rooms. People with the flu who are very irritable and insist upon being left alone tend to benefit from this remedy.
Eupatorium perfoliatum: People with the flu who experience aches in the muscles and pains in the bones and/or in their eyes often benefit from this remedy. Another characteristic symptom of people who might find benefit in this remedy is chills that occur in the morning, especially 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. These people desire cold drinks, even during a chill and even though it may elicit a chill response, and they feel better lying on whatever part of their body is aching.
Rhus toxicodendron: This remedy has been found useful for people with muscle aches that are aggravated by initial motion but relieved by continued motion. These people are often very restless, especially at night in bed, tend to have a sore throat and are very thirsty but only for sips of water at a time. If a cold sore develops during the flu, some people may want to consider this medicine.
Oscillococcinum: This remedy helps relieve flu symptoms like body aches, chills, fatigue, fever and headache.
Additional Related Homeopathics & their Uses
- Kali bichromium – Helpful for thick nasal discharge
- Kali iodatum – Frontal sinus pain
- Kali muriaticum – Nasal congestion with white nasal discharge
- Kali sulphuricum – Yellow nasal discharge
- Mezereum – Nasal congestion
- Pulsatilla – Thick yellow nasal discharge
Always trust yourself and visit your doctor as soon as you need to. This is especially important if you are pregnant, have a chronic health condition, have a high fever or difficulty breathing.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Dr. Paul Haider 43 SECONDS READ
- by Nicholas Ray 8 MINUTE READ
- by Louise Harris 12 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 30 SECONDS READ
- by Mia Barnes 7 MINUTE READ
- by Samreen Mongillo 5 MINUTE READ