13 Proven Health Benefits Of Tepary Beans
This ancient Native American bean is very common in Central and Southwestern US and they have been used for over 5,000 years. They grow mostly in the Southwest and can grow in dry environments as they need very little water. Because of this, they could be considered as beans of the future, perfect for drought-prone countries like Africa, and areas that receive less than 400mm of rain annually.
Also known as Phaseolus acutifolius, they are somewhat flat in shape and are brown, black, and white with black spots. These beans boast of a creamy texture, with a sweet and nutty taste. They are cooked in soups, stews, chili; as taco fillings and in salads and other dishes. They are also inexpensive, going for less than $8 per pound.
Tepary beans are filled with more nutrients and protein compared to other beans. Some of these include magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, and potassium. Most people have not heard of this type of bean and their numerous health benefits.
SEE ALSO: What’s Behind A Food Craving?
- Tepary beans contain high levels of soluble and insoluble fiber, helping lower LDL or bad cholesterol. This in turn, prevents buildup in the coronary arteries, which is great news for your heart.
- Antioxidants found in these beans maintain youthful vitality and promote good health. These antioxidants help boost metabolism as well.
- If you want to prevent constipation, improve GI tract functions, lower inflammation, and improve digestion in general then it’s important to eat lots of Tepary beans.
- B-vitamins prevent birth defects in unborn children and aid in every enzymatic process in the body. Good thing Tepary beans contain these types of nutrients.
- Tepary beans are high in protein, making them great substitutes for vegans and vegetarians. These are great for building lean muscle mass too.
- Having low glycemic index allows Tepary beans to help with weight loss and create long-term sustainable energy within the body.
- If you have anemia, then adding this type of bean to your diet will benefit you because of its bio-available iron that helps in the formation of hemoglobin.
- Tepary beans contain lots of good amino acids and B-Vitamins which are important for the growth of brain cells.
- If you want to produce 4 to 5 pounds of good bacteria in your gut, then eating Tepary beans is the way to go. Most people only have 1/2 pound of these probiotics.
- Because of all the great fiber and the complex sugar amylose, which breaks down very slowly, Tepary beans are great for diabetics and prevent spikes in blood sugar. Because of the fiber, it allows us to feel full quicker, helping us lose weight too.
- Plant-based forms of calcium are better than those found in dairy products in the long haul. High levels of calcium are found in Tepary beans, helping prevent osteoporosis and bone loss as we grow older.
- Tepary bans contain lots of phytosterols and isoflavones which are powerful antioxidants that help to prevent and repair DNA damage, further preventing disease. New studies show that Tepary beans are also a protease inhibitor which helps prevent cancer.
- Tepary beans by virtue of its fiber and antioxidant content slow the aging process and prevent age-related diseases.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Jodie Oakes 30 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 17 SECONDS READ
- by Jodie Oakes 27 MINUTE READ
- by Jodie Oakes 21 MINUTE READ
- by Jodie Oakes 29 MINUTE READ
- by Jodie Oakes 28 MINUTE READ