8 Amazing Herbs To Detox, Cleanse And Restore Your Health
Summer is one of the best times to cleanse and detox our bodies. Detox and cleansing are SUPER crucial to our health because one of the leading causes of chronic diseases is toxicity. In fact, it is scientifically proven that 70% of chronic illnesses such as autoimmune disorders, heart disease, adrenal fatigue, are caused by two environmental factors, and that is deficiency and toxicity. It is as simple as that! These environmental factors include but are not limited to:
- Medication overload
- The standard American diet
- Chronic infections
- Chronic stress and anxiety
- Exposure to chemicals and heavy metals, such as the ones found in food, water, air, cosmetics, and household cleaners
These environmental factors cause damage to the body by creating:
- Excess inflammation
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Weakened microbiome
- Intestinal permeability (otherwise known as leaky gut)
- Oxidative stress
- Food sensitivities (allergies)
- Adrenal fatigue
All these factors are the main contributors to adrenal fatigue, autoimmune disorders, and other chronic illness like cancer, diabetes, candida, and many more.
SEE ALSO: 4 Easy, Natural Stress Relief Options
The body’s natural process for detoxification is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin. However, we are continually bombarded with various chemical and environmental toxins such as household cleaners, cosmetics, non-organic food, and many other toxins that can slow down the body’s elimination process. When this happens, we start developing symptoms of toxicity, including but not limited to:
- Unexplained fatigue
- Sluggish elimination
- Irritated skin
- Low-grade infection
- Puffy eyes or bags under the eyes
- Menstrual problems
- Mental confusion
Anyone who experiences one or more of the above regularly can benefit from even a short detox to help alleviate stress on the body. Therefore, if you want to avoid future illness, it is super important to cleanse or detox at least two times a year – and some people need to do it four times per year!
One of the easiest ways to detox your body and cleanse is with the help of herbs. Herbs not only cleanse the body but some of them purify the blood as well as support, improve function, and restore the liver and do other eliminations in organs such as the kidneys and lungs. Herbs also aid these elimination organs in flushing ingested and environmental toxins from the body. When taken daily during a detox program, these not only herbs gently accelerate the detoxifying process but also help regenerate these organs. Therefore, promoting health.
Some of the herbs that help with this process include but are not limited to:
- Dandelion has a diuretic effect, allowing the liver and kidneys to eliminate toxins faster. It also helps strengthen the immune system, balance blood sugar levels, relieve heartburn, and soothe digestive issues. This herb is super gentle and safe. You can even add it to your smoothies or salads.
- Burdock is an alterative, which means it purifies the blood. Burdock also improves liver function and promotes the production of bile, which the liver secretes, assisting the body to excrete waste products from the blood. Burdock also is a diuretic. Therefore, it aids in eliminating excess water by increasing urine output, which helps the kidneys remove toxins. Other uses include reduced cell mutation; consequently, it is anti-cancer and antitumor. It is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial. It is also known for removing heavy metals from the body and artificial coloring like red 40 (and all others).
- Red clover is an excellent blood purifier that gradually cleanses the bloodstream and corrects deficiencies in the circulatory system. It has been shown to thin the blood and reduce the possibility of blood clots and arterial plaques. It is an anti-cancer. A is it estrogenic, it has been used to treat symptoms of PMS and menopause, promotes breast health, and prevent osteoporosis.
- Milk thistle helps to detoxify and regenerate* the liver and encourages the elimination of toxic waste from the colon. Milk thistle is also anti-inflammatory and is thought to be able to support healthy digestive function by promoting enzyme formation, increasing bile production, and soothing the mucous membranes throughout the body.
- Sassafras is a diuretic, thus eliminating excess toxins, salts, and fats from the body. Sassafras is also used to eliminate colds, boost kidney health, relieve pain, prevent cancer, boost the immune system, soothe inflammation, reduce menstruation pain, and increase energy. Its antiseptic properties help protect dental health.
- Yellow dock is a blood purifier and general detoxifier, in particular for the liver. Yellow dock root stimulates bile production, which helps digestion of fats. It also encourages bowel movements to help eliminate lingering waste from your intestinal tract. It is also a diuretic; therefore, it increases the frequency of urination to assist in toxin elimination.
- Schizandra improves liver function, digestive health, and the ability to remove waste from the body. Schizandra also boosts antioxidant activity and improves circulation and digestion. It is also anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting and supports adrenal function.
- Lavender essential oil assists in the breakdown of toxic materials from environmental toxins in the lymph, liver, and viscera. It also helps break down hydrogenated oils, trans- fats, and synthetic polymers (from poor-quality deep-fried oils, shortening, and margarine).
You may take these herbs in tea or tincture form (make a formula by mixing a few of them). However, most of these herbs are bitter and taste pretty bad, that is why I always give my clients a herbal detox formula in tincture form. It still tastes bad, but you only need to take 1/2 to 1 tsp at a time so you can quickly drink it or diluted in a little water or juice. So you get it over with fast! Plus, you save the time it will take you to make a medicinal tea (decoct for 20 minutes). Most people do not know that for a tea to be therapeutic and effective; it needs to either steep (in case flowers and leaves) or decoct (in case of roots and berries) for at least 20 minutes. Anything less than that is not medicinal strength, and you are just flavoring your water, and it is not as effective!
How long should you take these herbs? Well, it depends on your condition. If you have a chronic illness such as candida, autoimmune disorders or adrenal fatigue, you will have to take the supplement at least 3 to 6 months because this treatment will go beyond cleansing, it will be improving and restoring the organs of elimination.
On the other hand, if you are just doing a quarterly or 1/2 a year cleanse; two weeks is enough if you are using a high-quality product like mine – that is about a 4oz bottle (click here to view my detox product). I have designed a great herbal detox supplement. Many of my clients love this product because this formula provides a comprehensive and well-balanced program for deep internal cleansing. This supplement does more than just cleanse and detox, it also supports all the organs of elimination as well as being a blood purifier. This herbal supplement It works in harmony with your body’s natural detoxification process to help you feel lighter, brighter, and more energized.
*The statements in this article have NOT been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to treat or diagnose any disease.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Boyd Martin 6 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 36 SECONDS READ
- by Lubomira Kourteva 14 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 21 SECONDS READ
- by Donatella Moltisanti 6 MINUTE READ
- by Dr. Paul Haider 17 SECONDS READ