Eating For Your Body Type: The Best Nine Tips To An Ayurvedic Based Diet
Why do I need to eat for my body type? Well, it comes down to the reality that contemporary scientific methodology now recognizes many ancient and traditional theories of medicine as accurate and respectable systems of health interpretation and treatment. There is a consensus of understanding that we are unique holistic beings where body, mind, and spirit are interrelated and cannot be understood, diagnosed, or treated separately.
This means that for each of us, there is a need for an individual approach to holistic health where our distinct inherent balance of energies are considered and applied when looking at imbalances.
In saying this, Ayurveda is now one of the most recognized and respected philosophies being utilized as the basis for many modern studies of just how to recognize, prevent, and treat specific imbalances as based in the holistic being. Understanding the Ayurvedic philosophy and why eating for you body type, which is called a constitution, is an effective way towards optimal health.
The basis of an Ayurvedic diet
The Ayurvedic diet is one that is based in the ancient Indian philosophy of Ayurveda: the wisdom of life. Ayurveda wisdom acknowledges:
- The holistic being: the body, mind, and spirit connection (physical, mental, and emotional integration).
- That we are all inherently different: we are born into specific seasons with specific predispositions and vitalities (or biological makeup).
- That circumstance and experience work alongside our biological makeup and is an imperative aspect of balance.
- That the holistic, inherently and circumstantially differential processes in each being is the life flow that creates the interconnectedness of dynamic energies.
- That these dynamic energies reside within (intrapersonal) and between (interpersonal & environmental) and are seen as the three Doshas: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
These three categories of dynamic energies, the Dosha, are derived from the Five Elements of the Earth and embody a unique balance of energy. For each Dosha there is equilibrium of two earth element energies:
- The Vata represents space and air.
- The Pitta represents fire and water.
- The Kapha represents water and earth.
Within an individual constitution (unique makeup of dominant to minor Dosha), when these elements are balanced, health and well-being is present. When unbalanced, disease is prevalent.
Knowing your constitution type and how this influences your unique mind, body, spirit balance is the key to health.
Relation to Diet
Diet and nutrition can be one of the most underrated components of health, and as aforementioned contemporary scientific methodology now agrees with the Ayurveda philosophy of holistic health. Knowing your particular constitution (Vaya, Pitta, or Kapha) allows you to base gut health on nutrition that uniquely balances your specific energy makeup.
In this light, when you are feeling “off” or unbalanced, going back to the principles of your Constitution will allow you to tailor a diet and nutritional regime that balances your unique energies. This is where a diet that also follows the Ayuvedic philosophies has the ability to heal holistically. Mind, body, and spirit balanced through an understanding of the true Ayurveda: the interplay of the five universal elements of space, air, fire, water, and earth in relation to your own unique energy makeup.
The Best Nine Tips to an Ayurvedic Diet
Even without an acknowledgment of your constitution, Ayurvedic nutrition beings with mindfully selecting your foods:
- Choose seasonal fruits, vegetables, and proteins that are organic and free from pesticide.
- Warm your foods to release their energy.
- Avoid over cooking or microwaving.
- Ensure food combinations are enhancing energy.
- Always eat fresh as energies deplete after 24 hours.
- Avoid processed and packaged foods.
- Always be aware of the right oils for cooking, supplementing, and ingesting through foods – different oils have different properties providing different health benefits.
- Choose proteins, carbohydrates, vegetables, herbs and spices that reflect a balanced feeling within. Always think:
- Does this make me feel energized?
- Is this of the earth?
- Is there any negative feedback occurring in mind, body, or spirit?
- Seek to utilize food as medicine.
As previously mentioned, knowing your particular constitution (Vaya, Pitta, Kapha combinations) will offer more specific and uniquely designed nutrition that correctly balances your individual energy makeup allowing for optimal health in the true Ayuvedic form.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Kelli Worsley 11 MINUTE READ
- by Brieanne Tanner 11 MINUTE READ
- by Rishikul Ayurshala 5 MINUTE READ
- by Rashmi Agrawal 9 MINUTE READ
- by Matt Caron 6 MINUTE READ
- by Padma Prakasha 9 MINUTE READ