5 Facts About St. Patrick You Didn’t Know
The Man, the Myth, the Legend
St. Patrick’s day is a holiday often misunderstood and misinterpreted by the world…and not that the partying isn’t fun, but haven’t you always wanted to know exactly what the deal is behind the celebration?
We did too, so we did some fact checking and found out some interesting stuff about St. Patrick that we had never heard before, and thought we’d share.
1. St. Patrick is not Irish. At the age of 16, St. Patrick was kidnapped from Roman Britain and sold into slavery in Ireland where he tended sheep for 6 years. He escaped because he had a dream in which a spirit told him to flee to the coast and take a boat to Britain. Miraculously he made it, and upon arriving in Britain promptly enrolled to become a priest.
2. After becoming consecrated, St. Patrick returned to Ireland because he felt it was “test of forgiveness” and converted almost the entire island to Christianity.
3. St. Patrick popularized the 3 leaf clover by using it to explain the Christian Trinity.
4. Contrary to popular belief, St. Patrick’s day is not a holiday made for the specific purpose of drinking. The reason drinking is even apart of the history of the holiday comes from a celebrated story: One day, Patrick entered into a Inn and was served a drink of whiskey that was considerably less full than it should be. St. Patrick took this opportunity to tell the innkeeper that inside his cellar there was a devil that fed upon his dishonesty; and in order to destroy the demon, the innkeeper needed to change his selfish ways. After a while, St. Patrick returned to find the keeper being very generous to all his patrons, and St. Patrick claimed the demon was now emaciated and immediately banished it.
5. After many years in Ireland and becoming a very popular figure, St. Patrick wrote a large confessional book that can be read here. This book was his way of showing his humanity and humility in the face of such popularity.
Get Daily Wellness
You might also like…
- by Lubomira Kourteva 17 MINUTE READ
- by Hailey Groo 6 MINUTE READ
- by Serena Jade 16 MINUTE READ
- by SALIL GEWALI 8 MINUTE READ
- by Serena Jade 10 MINUTE READ
- by John Walsh 8 MINUTE READ