Copper is a wonderful, fascinating metal. It has healing benefits, looks beautiful, and has been worn for centuries. But for all these amazing qualities, it’s also the king of tarnish in the jewelry family! For anyone who’s sat with a yucky, tarnished piece of copper jewelry and wondered how on earth they’re meant to clean it, this post is for you. I promise you can get fantastic results for your copper jewelry, cuff bracelets or otherwise, in a minute.
SEE ALSO: The Healing Benefits Of Copper
Obviously, if your copper bracelet is lacquered, it will not tarnish as easily as non-lacquered copper jewelry does. Instead, it will get dull and become less shiny.
You can use a polishing cloth to shine a lacquered copper bracelet.
If the bracelet is very dirty, you can wash it with warm water with some dishwashing liquid or soap added in. Rub gently with a cloth or an old toothbrush. Rinse the bracelet well and dry it gently with a soft cloth.
Non-lacquered copper is a little bit easier to clean because you can be more abrasive. In general, acidic substances can work wonders.
- Lemon juice– Lemon: Cut a lemon in half and rub the copper piece with the lemon all over, front and back. You should see the tarnish coming off. If not, try putting some salt on the lemon slice. Dry with a soft cloth. Lemon juice: Squeeze lemon into a small bowl and place your jewelry piece into the juice itself for about 5-10 minutes. Scrubbing the piece with a cloth or toothbrush will also help remove any tarnish. Rinse with water afterward. Cleaning paste: Add lemon juice and baking soda together to make a cleaning ‘paste’. You can rub this onto the copper scrub it. Rinse and dry after.
- Vinegar– Soak the bracelet in some vinegar for 5-10 minutes, rubbing it clean if needed. Rinse thoroughly with water, then dry it with a cloth. Alternatively, you can make a paste from the vinegar by adding some flour and salt to it (e.g., 1 part vinegar, 1 part flour, and 1 part salt). Rub the bracelet clean with the paste and rinse thoroughly with water.
Here’s a great video that shows how to do it!
Latest posts by Matt Caron (see all)
- The Healing Benefits Of Organite - July 24, 2017
- The Top 10 Science-Backed Benefits Of Meditation - July 21, 2017
- Don’t Forget These 10 Rules When Placing Your Buddha Statue At Home Or Work - July 18, 2017