Astrology is a modality which works in a very fluid, holistic, and complex manner to access and expand your own consciousness. If you are a fan of astrology and also like a little “bling”, Vedic astrologers may be an interesting choice because they can recommend gem remedies to correct any cosmic energy imbalances through the prescription of planetary stones.
What is Vedic Astrology?
Vedic astrology or Jyotish is the ‘Science of Light’, an ancient astrological discipline that originated more than 4,000 years ago. It is different than the Western method of astrology because it is based on the Sidereal zodiac. For example, in Sidereal astrology, your zodiac sign may be the one preceding the sign you currently are in the Western system.
Vedic astrology deals with seven visible planets and two invisible ones and is often considered to be more predictive than Western astrology.
A Vedic astrologer will first ask you for your birth details: the day, month, year, city of birth, and the exact time that you were born. An astrological chart is then cast and the astrologer takes a good look at the condition of the planets and the nodes of the Moon, called Rahu and Ketu, the invisible or shadow planets. The reading will cover all areas of your life from the condition of your health, finances, relationships, coming life trends and also any past life karma that you are still carrying forward in this life. After your chart reading they will recommend gems according to which planets need strengthening.
Nine astrological gemstones are affiliated with planets. These are:
- The Sun is the ruby – rules one’s personal confidence, authority, power and status.; helps maintain a healthy body, and immune system
- The Moon is the pearl – relates to our subconscious mind, habits, feelings, moods, instincts, reflections, and aspirations; associated with the mother, childhood and enhances peace of mind
- Mars is the red coral – relates to ambition, motivation and desire; helps build finances, increases determination, courage, vitality, energy and physical strength; helps to remove obstacles; defeat mental depression; helps marital life and increases sexual desire, especially in men.
- Mercury is the emerald – enhances intelligence, speech, and communication; helps in completing many tasks at once; spurs on one’s natural ability for clairvoyance
- Jupiter is the yellow sapphire – promotes happiness, prosperity, luck and fortune; associated with justice, education, religion, wealth, children, and government; good for marriage and childbirth
- Venus is the diamond – good for relationships; married life; increases stamina; good for creativity and artistic skills
- Saturn is the blue sapphire – bestows wisdom, integrity and discipline; rules responsibility, leadership, ambition and knowledge born of experience; assists in the ability to lead others
- Rahu is the hessonite garnet – calms the senses; bring success, wealth and notoriety in society; increases life span and good fortune
- Ketu is the cat’s eye chrysoberyl – powerful talisman that can direct fortune; brings luck to gamblers; empowers spiritual tendencies and psychic powers; related to ghosts, spirits and astral forces
These gems work with the nine planets, the days of the week, metals, and different parts of the human body.
Gems, like crystals, are the fundamental constituents of transmitting, receiving and transforming invisible energy thus the crystalline structure of gemstones attract and condense the cosmic, planetary energies and transform them for use as gemstone remedies. Each prescribed gemstone represents the energy of the planet and harnesses that energy to bring about needed balances and changes. The cosmic energy of the planet is reflected through the gem and creates an effect on the human body by absorption and reflection of the rays and vibrations. The gems along with the metal in which the stones are set act as conduits to connect to planetary energy.
By keeping the proper gemstones in touch with the body, profound and significant changes can take place overtime. Recommendations from the astrologer may include wearing the stones on certain fingers or as a pendant. Beyond just wearing our usual birthstones, prescribed astrological gemstone jewelry may become a trend as more people become familiar with the power of stones.
Latest posts by Lisa Barretta (see all)
- Crystal And Gemstone Remedies: Relax And Put Your Relationships ‘On the Rocks’ - June 27, 2017
- Understanding Gemstone Astrology - June 8, 2017